Saturday, July 21, 2012

Week Off

hey all,

My week off from work is coming to an end. Tomorrow I'll be heading in to the school to drop off some texts I borrowed in order to catch up on some typing/prep. work, and while there I'll be setting up my new classroom, etc.

I don't have any exciting things to report about my week. I did a lot of typing at first: the scientist pack is mostly finished, I got a good number of essay questions typed for my various classes, and I fleshed out some more on a grammar packet about questions. I caught up on a few anime series, and even played Kingdoms of Amalur. I also finished two teaching books I'd been reading for several months now: Making Thinking Visible, and Teach Like a Champion (the regular book, not the Field Guide).  I was looking into reading The Dark Knight Returns on my Android, except the Kindle version is just unreadable. I downloaded a sample, and it was difficult to navigate through the panels, impossible to see the action, and near impossible to read what was written.

Maybe the only interesting thing is that I went swimming once, and an elderly Japanese guy came over and said in perfect English "Your swimming is very powerful!" After chatting for a bit, I had to compliment him on his English, and then we just went right on swimming. It is because of him that I finally got up the nerve to try a little butterfly. You see, he had been swimming a pretty decent, if a little stiff, butterfly for maybe ten minutes before that.

It seems like it was the combination of butterfly, breaststroke, and sheer fatigue that gave me tendinitis a few years ago, so I'd been holding out on trying it again. But it felt really nice to break it out again.

Otherwise, this week has reminded me a lot of my time in Tokyo. Between city taxes, health insurance, and paying off my student loans, money has been a little tight this month. So I really haven't gone anywhere the whole week.

Cheers,