Sunday, May 23, 2010

Rainy Season

hey all,

This weekend was full of surprises. Friday, Michi and I suddenly decided to go rock climbing at our favorite outdoor spot, Yugawara, on Sunday. On Saturday, we were going to make gyoza, but her parents invited us over for dinner, and all of a sudden I was meeting her parents for the first time. I was really nervous, but they were really nice and dinner was good: barbecued eel with rice and vegetables, with a side dish of sea urchin (pretty sour, with an aftertaste that is similar to a vegetable or spice that I can't quite remember the name of).

One of her younger brothers all came to dinner (the one who cooked us dinner several months ago), but he wasn't too talkative: it looks like he and his wife might be getting divorced.

After dinner, we talked about movies and rock climbing, and finally Michi and I left and did a final check on the weather, only to find that the forecast had changed from cloudy to 100% rain. So we stayed indoors today: lunch at Jonathan's (a kind of Denny's or Howard Johnson's or similar family-themed restaurant), then we watched Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, which was surprisingly good.

To top it off, on Saturday before meeting Michi, I received a call from the company that I interviewed with last weekend. I thought they would reply by email, and since I didn't receive a reply for a week, I thought they had decided not to continue the interviewing process. But now I will be doing a demonstration lesson for them this Thursday. I still have lots of questions about benefits, vacations, etc, but it's also just good to know that they are still interested.

Cheers,