Monday, January 03, 2011

Japan!

hey all,

I'm back in Japan, and boy am I tired. Another long flight with no sleep (I know it seems crazy, but naps really mess up my sleep cycle), and for some reason a lot of drama. First off, we didn't get business class, which wouldn't be that bad, but economy sucks more than I remember it sucking.

We couldn't even choose what movies to watch or when: the whole entertainment package was pre-programed and there were only like 15 monitors scattered throughout the economy class seating area to view them. It seems like on my last few flights, such as the one that brought me to Japan in the first place, or the ones I took to and from Amsterdam several years ago, all had monitors on the backs of the seats so you could watch whatever you wanted.

In and of itself, not too big a deal. Except for the guy next to me. I noticed that he was sleeping before the plane even took off, and on his left wrist I could see a hospital-style wristband: one of those white plastic things with your name, etc on it.

I was stretching my legs by walking around the plane, and when I came back to the seat they were giving him oxygen. He was shaking and felt sick, I guess, and then the call went out: "Is there a doctor on the plane?" I left to give them room, and soon they had him on an IV of something or other.

He slept for most of the rest of the flight, but he was shaking again after they took the IV out just before we landed. I still don't know what the issue was. The paramedics were waiting for him when we arrived at Narita.

That's going to be about it for.
The trip to the US went really well, but I'm not sure I'll be able to type coherently long enough to get it out there today.

Cheers,