Monday, December 12, 2011

Hot Stuff

hey all,

So last week I was laid up by some food poisoning or something else that gave me a 4 day stomach ache, tons of gas, diarrhea, and a slight fever. And now I'm going through something like my fourth or fifth cold of the season. As part of my concerted campaign to get rid of it, I eating hot oatmeal for breakfast, a hot lunch, a hot dinner of soup with hot tea, taking hot showers followed by hot baths, and sleeping with thermal pajamas under a fleece top and bottom. Oh, and I'm taking some cold medicine. My usual stuff this time, not that powdery rancid cinnamon crap that didn't help at all for my last cold.

I finished Neal Stephenson's Reamde and I've just started Brandon Sanderson's The Final Empire, the first book of his Mistborn Trillogy. Reamde was quite good, two major action sequences, plus the usual Stephensonion rants and random interesting stories and ideas thrown into an eclectic mix. The Final Empire is pretty good so far, but I'm not sure I like the way his characters talk or interact with each other sometimes. I mean, it is a high fantasy series in the spirit of JRR Tolkein, Tad Williams, Robert Jordon, or GRR Martin, but he has a bunch of thieves sitting around planning a mission by brainstorming problems and possible solutions on a chalkboard, like something out of Ocean's Eleven. Or there are parts where they're talking military strategy, but in his fantasy setting, the world has been ruled under one empire for over 1000 years, and most people should even be familiar with military thinking, let alone the kind of thinking that his characters espouse.

I also had to go into the city office and take care of some health insurance stuff, both personally and so I could turn in a few forms for work.

AM classes got all switched around last week, but I think the students and the teachers, including myself, have mostly adjusted.

That's all for now.

Cheers,