Friday, October 23, 2009

School and Weekend

hey all,

So this week has gone relatively well. Not an incredible amount stuff going on at work, because my junior high school had their mid term examinations, so no classes for a few days. I helped out by making some tapes for the teachers to play during the listening portion of the tests, but other than that, I've been studying kanji, making flashcards, and reading.

I taught at the elementary school today, and this time they didn't try to steal my bike, which was nice. Lessons went pretty well, but I find I'm usually tired by the time Friday rolls around, which is kinda sad because I'd like to show my elementary classes a little more energy.

The big news is that I started a part time job yesterday at a small eikaiwa (English conversation school). One of my fellow ALT's decided to take a break from doing lessons on Thursdays, so he needed to find a replacement and offered the position to me. Right now, it's just Thursday evenings for a couple hours, but these kind of places have high turn over rates, so if I stick with it, I might get to take over more days. There is a lot more one-on-one teaching, since you're only dealing with 1 or 2 students at a time, and at least the first day was pretty fun. They wanted me to work weekends as well, but I refused. I should have asked if they would pay $60/hr for that time, but that would have amounted to refusing to work during the weekends anyway. No way am I giving up Michi-time or rock climbing time.

Speaking of which, Michi and I are doing a dinner and movie thing tomorrow: cooking dinner together, then watching a samurai movie that she recommended. Maybe Sunday we'll take a day trip to Nikko to see the autumn leaves, which are supposed to be spectacular.

Tonight I actually went to an outdoor club social night, and met up with several of the climbing members. Since I've started dating Michi, I almost feel like I've been neglecting the climbers in the club. Michi and I have gone climbing by ourselves maybe twice, and since we've been going out, I've only organized 2 trips for the club. So I'm thinking about organizing an outdoor climbing trip for the club next Saturday, but not sure where yet. Maybe Yugawara again, but as a day trip. I'd kinda like to do somewhere in Okutama, but it seems like the transportation is just not as convenient as for Yugawara.

That's all for now.

Cheers,