Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Summer Vacation

hey all,

Summer vacation is almost over. I start up work again on my brother's birthday: September 3rd. Those jobs I was hoping for never really materialized. I can't say I've been scouring the internet for work, but I have put in a few applications. My search has somewhat narrowed and broadened at the same time. I've started looking for jobs in the neighboring prefecture of Kanagawa, but I've stopped applying for eikaiwa positions.

Given my background in high school with CAD (I won several prizes at the Michigan Industrial Fair), I've also been looking at CAD jobs, but a good number of these seem to require native or at least business level Japanese.

Last week, I was able to make a root beer cake in our house rice cooker, which turned out a lot better than the half batch I tried to make in our toaster oven.

The last couple days have been somewhat interesting. I met up with my girlfriend's father to help him move a table and some firewood up to their second house. The table really would have been easier to handle with 4 people, for instance, but we still managed to move it into the house by resting a lot. Yes, it was that heavy. When we first got it into the truck, my shoulder gave me a twinge, but actually moving it at their house seemed to be no problem. They also now have a 6 foot tall, 5 foot wide, and 2 foot deep pile of winter firewood, stacked by yours truly. Since Michi had to work, we had to get by with my Japanese and his English.

That's all for now.

Cheers,