Monday, August 16, 2010

Waterfalls

hey all,

The weekend ended up being pretty fun. Michi invited me up to the second house again, and we went hiking basically all day Saturday. During the hike, we got to check out a couple waterfalls.




The second one was very popular, but for some reason Michi was more impressed by the first waterfall. Personally, I agree with everyone else: the first water fall is very much a normal, average waterfall, while the second is interesting. It has a very rare horseshoe shape that is a little hard to see in the picture, but it basically wraps around about 270 degrees, so you can almost turn in a full circle and see the water streaming down.

Dinner for Saturday night was pretty amazing. We all went to a Chinese restaurant called Ken-chan (chan is a diminutive, usually added to the end of names for younger female girls, but can also be used for men). We ordered two Ken-chan sets to be split between the 4 of us. In one set, you get a huge steaming bowl of ramen, which by itself should be a meal, but added to it is a small bowl of rice, a plate of what looked and tasted like chow mein, and a plate of barbequed liver with veggies. And how much you pay for all this is just as surprising as the amount and the high quality of the food: about $10 per set.

Sunday we returned to the swelter of Tokyo. Michi and I stayed in and I helped her clean up her laptop a bit, and she went over some questions with me in my level 3 Japanese study book. When I came back to my place, I used one of my cans of root beer to make my first root beer float since coming to Japan.

Cheers,