Monday, August 30, 2010

System Shock

hey all,

A few days ago I was contacted by another recruiting/head hunting company, and they asked me to come in tomorrow and "see what they do." So, even though I'm not too interested, I figured that I have the day off, and I might as well give it a shot. I'd probably only futz around anyway.

My vacation is quickly, oh too quickly rushing to an end. I was offered one extra day as a substitute teacher this Wednesday, so I'll actually be getting up around 6:30 or so, instead of my recent 9:00 or 10:00, or even much later. I anticipate lots of resting this weekend, as my body reels from adjusting to the day starting so early.

I've officially entered my "hard-up" phase: I will not be paid again until October 25th, so I'm stretching my money out as much as I can. Things will be tight, but there you have it. With careful spending, I figure I still might have enough to do one rock climbing trip in late September, but that is contingent on my shoulder getting better.

Which, it seems like it is slowly, slowly, doing so. I've been dosing myself with ibuprofen, and I've looked up how you say ibuprofen in Japanese, so I'll be starting to look for some generic brands soon. Why my shoulder got like this is still something of a mystery, but my parents insist that it is probably just part of getting older. I don't have the job security, self-confidence, or even much of the wider experience which seem to be bulk of the benefits of aging, but I'm getting saddled with the slow recuperation times and tendency toward injury all the same.

Michi has been pretty supportive of resting, insisting on me resting when I still wanted to swim. But it is clear that she chaffs at me not being able to go rock climbing with her, whether because of my lack of funds or my shoulder injury. I even find myself worrying what I'd do if I couldn't return to rock climbing or swimming someday. (It has only been a month since the injury.) A touch melodramatic, but after watching that movie where the Fingerless Wonder Couple still achieve a First Ascent on a 3000m high mountain in Finland, it is hard not to.

Time to scrounge something for dinner.

Cheers,