Tuesday, April 12, 2011

One Month

hey all,

As you all know, yesterday marked one month since the powerful earthquake hit Japan. I'm really tired of earthquakes. Since 8:00 this morning (it is now 12:00), there have been 22 seismic events of various sizes in Japan. Many people, if I haven't mentioned this before, are suffering from "earthquake sickness," which is like motion sickness, BUT FOR THE EARTH. How terrible is that? When you spend a long time on a boat at sea, after you come back to the ground, you might still feel like you are on a ship being tossed about by the waves. Because of the near constant slight tremors and quakes, people will look around them to check and see if the shelves or other objects are shaking, since the people feel like the earth must be shaking when it actually isn't.

It doesn't help that when I look in the mirror I naturally tilt my head a little to one side now, probably because of the pressure my swollen salivary gland is putting on my inner ear.

For damage control, I'm taking this week off from work. I hope that no one at my school catches this. I'm still not sure how I caught it myself. From either someone at school before the earthquake, or someone at the guesthouse. I guess it really doesn't matter. I think I'm going to make a small set of material about mumps to teach the kids, have them learn about viruses, the anatomy of the head, etc.

 Cheers,