Wednesday, September 21, 2011

46km, Typhoon, and Earthquake

hey all,

Today has been pretty eventful. A typhoon has hit Japan, bringing monstrous gusts of wind around 111mph (you should see the piles of broken, discarded umbrellas), hellacious rain, and delayed trains. We ended the classes 45 minutes early, since there were pieces of corrugated steel roofing flying off one of the neighboring buildings, ready to decapitate our waiting students or teachers.

The trains from our station were stopped, so three of us took a bus over to Yokohama station, and proceeded to kill a couple hours until a train that could take me to my station showed up. I finally got home 3 hours later than normal, even though I left work 45 minutes early.

Upon arriving at the new apartment, I was greeted with a magnitude 5.3 earthquake. I'm sure there will be a volcano eruption or maybe a nice asteroid crash or something. Maybe a nuclear dis...Oh wait, we already had one of those.

I'd love to write about the Yarigadake trip. The arguments, the amazing sites we saw, the drama of trying to get back to Tokyo, the exhaustion of hiking 46 kilometers over the course of 3 days (the final day itself was 23km), our night/early morning hike in order to see sunrise from the peak, etc. I had planned on writing about the trip today, but the typhoon has put a damper on that plan.

So far, I've taken care of my credit card bill, my student debts, and taken a look at my curriculum course again which should be starting in 2 days. I'm going to eat a bit, shower, brush my teeth, and collapse.


Enjoy the picture. Details to follow.

Cheers,