Friday, September 09, 2011

Body Check

hey all,

My morning and evening commutes are mirror images of each other. In the morning, thousands of passengers disembark from the train, and the platform rumbles and shakes with their footsteps. Only a few people get on, and I am one of them. Those getting on move to the left or right of the doors, lest we get pushed out of the way. Even if we wouldn't get crushed, it is typical Japanese manners to wait for the people getting off, then get on yourself.

At night, coming back from work, only a few people get off at my station, and hundreds await to get on the train. Instead of lining up like good boys and girls to the left and right of the door, they push their way on to the train without waiting for people to get off.

So I body check them. I swing my shoulders left and right into theirs, push my elbows out, and make it known that at my door at least, propriety will be observed, if not enforced.

Work has been really busy this week. I've made a couple more of those coloring maps, plus put the finishing touches on a chemistry quiz and a reading book quiz, and of course have printed out the schedule for the next week, and started planning in more detail the next coming weeks. And of course there are the regular classes to deal with.

For those of you worried, Michi is fine. The bumps turned out to be mosquito bites, but I've never seen an allergic reaction so intense or quick.

Cheers,