Monday, September 12, 2011

Planning and Spaghetti Western

hey all,

This weekend was spent mostly planning, and running errands. Vacuuming the rooms, cleaning the bathroom, doing laundry, etc.

We also rented Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and A Fistful of Dollars. For dinner while watching A Fistful of Dollars, we decided to make some black bean burgers like I used to make at the co-op during my last years as an undergrad.

We've got the Yarigadake trip mostly planned out, but the Oze trip still needs a little more work.

We noticed a few weeks ago that Michi's caste iron skillet had quite a lot of rust on it, and I've finally got around to seasoning the sucker. Steel wooled the rust off, got the first coat of lard baked on tonight.  I plan on doing two or three more tomorrow.

 Just to make sure I don't pull an Aron Ralston, Michi and I will be heading to Yarigadake this weekend. It is a pretty famous mountain, on the 100 Mountains of Japan list, and it also happens to be a little dangerous. Shouldn't be a problem, but just to be on the safe side...

Our second anniversary is coming up, and we've actually been living together for about a month now. That seems a little difficult to believe, honestly. I think Michi summed it up when she was talking to me about my North Face 32 tent that I bought for a trip with my brother and Bri in the fall of 2009. As it happened, Bri couldn't get the time off from work, and the trip never materialized. I never even used the tent in the US, nor shared it with my brother nor Bri. I had it shipped to me in Japan, where I used it a few times by myself on camping and rock climbing trips, and Michi and I have shared it on several occasions as well, and the odds are decent that if we have a kid, the three of us might be using that same tent that I had intended to use with my friend and brother. I can honestly say, that I never imagined when buying it that I might use it with my wife and potential baby.

I've been going through Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos series of SF books and I must say that I'm as impressed by them as I was by his Illium/Olympos series. I've got one more book and a half to get through before I can reach the conclusion. I'm not sure what I'll start reading after that, but it'll probably be something available on the Kindle.

Not too much else new here.

Cheers,