Sunday, October 16, 2011

Anniversary 2, Desk, Games

hey all,

Our anniversary was actually October 3rd, but we decided to head out to a Hawaiian restaurant in Ginza tonight. The food was delicious, but they didn't let us use our coupon because we didn't show it to them when we first came in at the door, so I don't think we'll be heading back there again. Still, I found a dish that I really liked and that I'll be looking up how to make myself.

Yesterday, I got a package with all my DVD's from the US in it, plus other assorted goodies. And my computer desk also arrived. Without a proper chair to sit in, it is still a little inconvenient and uncomfortable, but it definitely beats the cardboard boxes. I've even got my PS3 set up and everything.

Aside from the anniversary and the packages, we watched Kurosawa's Sanjuro and Michi really loved that. I even got to catch up with Bri a little while playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Two of the games that I've pre-ordered, Dark Souls and Batman: Arkham City, have come out, and they've both gotten near perfect scores. I can't wait to play them, but I don't know how I'll fit in the time to do it.

I spent almost all day today making maps and editing a packet on biomes. Why make maps? Because most modern biome systems have about 14 different biomes, and I'm not going to teach 14 different biomes to 5 year olds. So I had to take the maps that where already made, re-group and re-color the areas so that there would be 6 different biomes, then go through again, create a different layer for each separately, then put them all together again. Why? That way, I have separate maps showing the extent of each biome, which if I want I can layer all together can create a world map where every piece of land is assigned to one of the six biomes I'm teaching. I did the same with a two variable graph based on a 1970's science report by Whittaker, which shows how each biome can be defined by yearly average rainfall and temperature: I've got separate layers showing each biome's distribution independently, which I can then composite together to create the original master upon which my layers were based. Why? Because showing all that information at once will spark info-overload. So I split it up, and all of it can be shown at the end, when it will be review for them.

My first curriculum design class is almost over, and all I've got left is the final project, and then about one week of free time before the next class begins. So far, the professor has had some positive remarks and comments about how I've been completing the (ungraded) exercises and practice activities, and of course I did get that perfect score on the first assignment. I've also been reading a few books on my Kindle about curriculum design and I think I might order one or two physical books on the subject, since they haven't been turned into ebooks yet.

I just finished my Dan Simmons marathon early this week. I read all four books of the Hyperion Cantos, and both Ilium/Olympos. If I can figure out how to get files from my computer onto my Android, I'll probably end up listening to The Iliad on my way to work.

That'll be it for now.

 Cheers,