Sunday, October 23, 2011

More Games, 18-to-28, Etc

hey all,

As usual, things have been busy. I just finished work on my final project for my curriculum design class: a design document showing course title, description, course goals, and module-level goals, plus a reflection on what design principles you've used in creating it. I've signed up for the second class in the certificate, so I've got about 10 days or so where nothing is due and I don't have to be reading and studying after work every night. Although, to be honest, I've got three books that deal with curriculum design directly or indirectly on my Andriod Kindle app, and I've got two more coming in the mail this week.

I've also got my vocabulary list set up for the next two weeks, and the schedule is more or less set, so I can spend my down time at work finishing the editing of the biomes packet. It was up to 60-70 pages at one point, but its page count is slowly dropping. I've been cutting out redundant information, adding some nice graphics and pictures, and also adding some comprehension questions: when you get down to it, for everything I cut, something usually gets put in.

Michi and I have been living together for about 2.5 months now. I don't think we've had any of the big dramas that we had during August and September. Dinners are still separate most weekdays, but we cook together on the weekends. Trip planning has become a lot easier, since we can search together every night after work if need be, and let each other know of changes in the plan quickly. I do most of the vacuuming, but I actually let her do most of the hotel booking. That's division of labor of you.

We picked up a "health meter," what used to be called a weight scale or just scale when I was a kid. Now these things can record information for four people, keep track of body weight since the last time you stepped on, and also calculate BMI, body fat percentage, muscle percentage, body age, and daily caloric intake. I've been hovering around 42% body muscle, about 12% fat, and apparently my body age is 18. Michi is pulling in at 28 years old, which is also a pretty impressive drop from her actual age.

Another one of my preordered games will be coming out in two days. That means that my package should finally ship, although who knows when it will actually arrive.

We were planning on finally going rock climbing today, but Michi started to come down with a cold, probably the same cold that has laid me up the last week. On top of that, she wasn't paying too close attention while washing our 33-layer Damascus steel razor sharp chef's knife and sliced her little finger a little bit. She actually got pretty lucky, as the cut didn't seem to bad. Still, I recommended not climbing on it. Besides, I had lots of errands to run today.

Yesterday, I helped one of my very poor US friends move out of the apartment he shared with his on-again off-again ex-(for now)girlfriend. The only interesting thing about this is that I met him when I was living at the guesthouse in Omiya, and yes, he had just broken up with the same girlfriend and moved out of her place that time too. But yesterday we actually moved him into my former room. Yes, the exact same cramped, too small room that I spent a whole year in.

Cheers,