Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bean Counting

hey all,

So I am now being screwed by the bureaucracy of not one but two nations. The people at the US Embassy told me at the Embassy that it would be 4-5 days before I got my passport back, and then said it usually takes 2-3 weeks when I called. They still have not even shipped the thing.

Michi was kind enough to write a letter to the Japanese Immigration Bureau explaining that I don't have my passport on me, and thus wouldn't be able to come in before my visa expired. However, they called me at work and explained that that was unacceptable, and that I should still come in with the paperwork that I had before the visa expired. So now I've had to ask one of my coworkers to take over one of my classes, and explain to the parents and students of my AM class that I need to leave a bit early on Friday; otherwise they will soon have a new teacher and I'll be headed for the US.

The thing that really gets me about the Japanese end of this is the paperwork. They need proof from the city or ward office that I have paid my taxes. I need to physically go there, ask for this piece of paper in person, carry it in my bag, and play mailman to deliver it into the hands of the people at Immigration. Now, the people at Immigration know full well where I have lived. They are the ones that said "Make sure you go to the city office of ___" and pick up these forms. Why can't they call, fax, or e-mail that office and get them sent over? What is so mystical or special or essential for the legality of this process about me playing mailman? They are government officials who have a legal right (and according to them, a need) to view these documents, why do I need to be involved at all? Given the fact that I am a foreigner, it should actually be easier for them just to do it themselves.

Anywho,