Monday, March 08, 2010

Decision

hey all,

I've come to a decision about my jobs options. I've informed my company that I'll be accepting the Tokyo position, despite a few reservations. Rent, commuting, and other expenses will be higher (as one example, the video rental shop nearest my house charges 190 Yen for a one week rental of an old movie, while Michi's charges 400 Yen for a one night rental), and my pay will be quite a bit lower. On the other hand, I will have more free time to study Japanese and prepare for the JLPT in December. I will live closer to Michi. Although I doubt that I'll be able to see her more frequently, it might happen. I'll be working at elementary schools, which from what I've said to my friends and family, and from what I've written on this blog, you all know is much more fun for me (for many reasons). I should also be able to find lucrative work for my free days, so that I can at least match, if not surpass, my current salary.

Other than that, there is only a little more to say. Things are steadily winding down at my school, and I find myself having to go to ridiculous lengths to get students' attention in the class room, such as collapsing violently on the podium when I explain that a character in the textbook died.  On the other hand, (some) classes seem to appreciate that a bit, and are willing to pay attention. I guess it is good practice for my elementary school lessons.

I've decided to make the jump to Windows 7, so I've backed up all my data and will be attempting installation tomorrow.

I also have been asked to pick up my new visa next week, which is very good.

One last item. One thing that has made me feel a little better about my work situation is that I found out that many Japanese teachers are in the same position. One of my ALT friends was told by a Japanese teacher that he didn't know where he'd be working next year. Basically, there is a test that Japanese English teachers can take that will give them very high status as English teachers. Until they pass that test, which requires projects, presentations, live demonstration lessons, etc, they can be (and probably will be) moved anywhere in the prefecture they live in. Imagine that at the end of every year, your company asks you to move to a different city anywhere within your state. That's what they're living with.

In fact, my very inexperienced 1st year teacher has not passed this test, so she will be working out in the middle of nowhere next year. My 2nd year teacher told me that her city has a river, clean air, and would be a good place if you like to swim. When I said there were probably only 5 people living in her city, he really laughed hard.

Cheers,