Monday, March 22, 2010

The Most Dangerous Thing

hey all,

So this weekend has been really interesting. Maybe a little too much so, in fact. On Saturday Michi and I went rock climbing in Yugawara again: we had wanted to go to Joyama, which we've never been to, but we couldn't find cheap available lodging. So, it turned into just a day trip to Yugawara. Now, recently it has been pretty windy, but Michi and I didn't take that into consideration when we went. In fact, while we were climbing, the trains were running in a stop-and-go fashion because of the strong winds.

So imagine clinging to a rock face with all your strength while a wind strong enough to flip a train comes blowing at you, trying to rip you off the rock. That's what our rock climbing was like on Saturday. I can honestly say that I've probably never done anything so dangerous or scary. It was pretty fun, some of the time, but still: really scary.

We only climbed a few routes, maybe two or three times each on each route, before we decided that it would be safer to quit while we could still make that decision.

Sunday was almost entirely taken up with playing Bad Company 2 with Bri. He had made a promise not to play online until we could play together, and my copy of the game arrived 2 weeks later than his, so he'd been wanting to play that game together for a while. I have to say that it is slightly more fun than the first game, and they've made lots of upgrades and improvements to the gameplay, graphics, and in other areas. I've played the single player campaign a little, but yesterday was my first time playing online as well.

Monday (today) was a holiday in Japan, so Michi and I went to Mt. Nokogiri, in Chiba prefecture. In the past, there was a quarry there, but now it is famous for a temple and for one rock formation in particular, which has a name that means something like "Looking into Hell." I wanted to look down from the top of that rock face, but you have to ride a ski-lift style car to get up there, and Michi and I had already spent a good amount of time wandering around the old quarry and other places.

 I'll have some pictures coming up in a day or two.

Cheers,