Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Packing and Cleaning, New Place

hey all,

Not an incredibly interesting post here, but there you have it. I've started packing my stuff and cleaning my room, and I'm actually already 70% done. I have my assorted electronics mostly packed up, including an entire grocery bag that is nothing but cords and cables. My work clothes are packed, as is my small selection of informal wear.

Last weekend, I took my camping and climbing gear over to Michi's, so that my friend and I will have an easier to moving everything else. She seemed a little too eager to store my tent and other equipment: I'll have make sure I get them back, LOL.

Yesterday, I actually checked out the building where I'll be moving to. The area is pretty nice, but the entrance to the building is a little dreary and gloomy. But then, I did go in the middle of a rain storm, so it would have been hard to seem cheery and sunny. Otherwise, I think it will be a decent place to live: it is about 5-7 minutes walk to the train station, there is a grocery store and a fresh fruits/vegetables store within 2 minutes walk. Near the station there is a Muji, which is a very Japanese "no brand" brand store. (There is little to no advertising for the store or its products anywhere: the only signs I've ever seen were just to notify you that there is a Muji nearby or above the store itself. The products themselves are good quality, but very plain: there is no brand name tag on them anywhere. They sell clothes, furniture, kitchenware, food, stationary, cleaning supplies: just about everything.)

The station itself is only 2 minutes by train to the rock climbing gym I like, and maybe 12 minutes to Michi's place, which is still within reasonable biking distance, but probably takes 15-20 minutes. It is ever so slightly closer to my schools than the apartment I wanted, but I still expect to commute about 40-50 minutes each way, which is what my commute last year took. I'll also be about 14 minutes from Akihabara, so I can get music, movies, and games to my heart's (or rather, my salary's) content.

Cheers,