Sunday, April 25, 2010

Third School, Weekend

hey all,

Last Friday I went to my third and final school. My classes there also went pretty well, but I ended up having to stay until my regular finishing time. By the end of the week, my voice was kinda shot, since I'd been speaking loudly in front of the classes, and also singing/chanting, etc.

Saturday, I did my regular yoga lesson with Michi, then we went shopping for outdoor gear. I picked up a sleeping mat, plus cooking gear: gas tank, stove, and camping pot. The last time I went camping, I relied on other people to bring the cooking gear, but next time (when I go camping/rock climbing with the outdoor club in Joyama starting next weekend), I'll be the most experienced climber/camper, so I should have my own gear.

Today has been a long day. For Michi's birthday, we decided to go to Myougi-san (Mt. Myougi, for Westerners), which is in the neighborhood of Ogawayama (the biggest rock climbing site in Japan that I went to in September last year). So, we met up early in the morning, trained for about 3 hours into Gunma prefecture, than hiked to the top of Myougi-san, had lunch at the top, and came back down. I left my room at about 6:50 this morning, and got back around 21:00.

Myougi-san is really cool looking: imagine 1000m tall really savage, jagged-edged knife made of stone, and that's what the mountains around Myougi-san (and Myougi-san itself) look like. It also has chained-hiking trails: long chains that are bolted into the rock-side which you climb you: Michi and I brought our harnesses and some climbing gear, so we were able to clip into the chains for extra safety. There's still a lot that we didn't get to see, so I'd like to come again. What we did get to see was unique and pretty grand. I've got a few pictures which I'll try to upload tomorrow, since I have the day off.

Aside from that, I'll be heading to Omiya to pick up a free blender, and preparing my lessons for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Cheers,