Wednesday, June 30, 2010

More Training

hey all,

I did another bout of training today. I got to meet two other teachers and they helped me through the lessons I'm going to teach next Saturday. Like the last teacher, they said a lot of the things I was doing were good, but some needed changing. It was actually lots of fun and they seemed like good people, but very tiring.

All that stuff is still swirling around in my head, and I'm not feeling too confident about Saturday's lesson. The deal is that Saturday I'm doing a "monitor" lesson, which is not exactly what I thought it'd be. Basically, I'm doing a lesson for potential students and their parents to try to get them hooked on this company's English classes, thus generating lots of revenue for the company. So, I'm supposed to be selling not only myself as a teacher, but the company's teaching style, our teaching materials, and of course selling the fact that English is fun. The guy who decided to give this duty to me must really have a lot of confidence in me, because this feels like an important duty to give to someone who has just started working there.

Anyway, today was a long day as I had my regular job before doing 3+ hours of training, and tomorrow will be almost as bad. There are only 6 class periods, and I'm teaching all 6 of them, plus an English lesson for the teachers after school. These are especially bad as the teachers almost never say anything, and I'm not sure what exactly they want from it. This is also the school where the 6th graders give me the most attitude, like making fun of the gestures I use to help them understand my instructions. Like their English is so awesome they already understood it, when in fact they can't do any English at all. Some of them are really nice students, but this is the same school where the principal confiscated a shiv from a student.

That's all for now. Cheers,