Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Cooking Failure

hey all,

I tried to make dairy free tiramisu today, and totally failed. I used tofu in place of mascarpone cheese, but kept the eggs, alcohol, chocolate and espresso. Somehow, the tofu-egg mixture became really watery. I think I must have added too much of the espresso/alcohol mixture to it, and I skipped the step of beating the egg yolks and sugar together until thick. (I don't have sugar, so I used honey it's place) Next time, I'm going to follow the original dairy recipe a little closer, and see how it turns out. I actually found Lady fingers at the local variety foods grocery store. Again, they don't have graham crackers, mascarpone cheese, hamburger buns, or any of a thousand other items you could find at a regular store in the US, but they have Lady fingers for crying out loud.

I'm feeling slightly more upbeat today, despite the failed tiramisu. I cut my hair, and bought two work shirts that were on sale for half price, and got to spend a lot of time at work studying Japanese. Real studying: not just reading that book of my in Japanese. I have a study book for the level three Japanese test, and so far I've gotten about 80% of the questions right. I'm only about 1/6 through the test, and I'm pretty sure I'm taking too much time to answer the questions, but still.

Cheers,