Sunday, July 18, 2010

Not All Work

hey all,

I'm sure lately it seems like it's been all work and no play, so I'd like to mention that I got to see Predators with a new roommate on Friday, which was pretty enjoyable. Not very original, but way better than the Alien Vs. Predator movies that were inflicted on the public twice. I'd say that the structure of the movie is also revealed a little too easily. The characters seem to catch on to what is going on way too quickly.

Today after skyping with the 'rents, I and another roommate went over to a sports club. I went swimming, and he used the weight machines. Pretty fun, but I'm so out of shape. I haven't really swam for almost 2 years, so I can't do distance, my flutter kick is even weaker than ever, and I can't even do a lap of butterfly.

Something a bit interesting about Japan: everyone probably knows that in the rest of the world, men tend to favor brief or box brief type swimsuits (commonly called "speedos"). This is also true of Japan, but what surprised me was that I was also required to wear a swim cap. I didn't have one, and had to buy one from the store at the club, which was annoying. I don't have long, permed, dyed or styled hair, or lice, or even some scalp disease that could be passed through water. What good is a swim cap going to do me? None.

Apparently, they require them to prevent hair from clogging filters, but that is really just bullcrap. A swim cap might reduce the frequency that the filter has to be cleaned, but you're going to have to clean the filter eventually, and when you do, it won't be my fault: my leg hair and arm hair is about twice as long as my head hair, and thus more likely to clog a filter. Yet I'm not required to wear a full body suit or shave my arms and legs to swim in the pool. It is only the (very short) hair on my heady head head that concerns them, which is rather stupid but there you have it.

For me, this is just another piece of equipment to be totted to and from the pool, and just another piece of cloth to permanently absorb that oh so wonderful smell of chlorine.

Anyway, it was fun, even if I had to buy the swim cap. I think I'm going to try to make this a weekly ritual for August. I'll be needing something to help structure my time.

Cheers,