Sunday, May 15, 2011

Enoshima, or In Praise of Spontaneity

hey all,

The original plan for today was to go rock climbing either at a gym in Tokyo or head over to Yugawara for the millionth time, but...Well, life happens. We woke up a little late, but yesterday I had realized on my to Tokyo that I had left the 2.8L of sweet and sour chicken I'd made sitting on the floor cooling next to my refrigerator. Two red peppers, 1 carrot, 1Kg of chicken thigh meat, 1 can of pineapple, ketchup, vinegar, and a whole lot of arrowroot starch...No way was I going to let that sit out for 36 hours and probably spoil in the meantime. 12 hours, yes. But 36?

Yes, 2.8 liters of homemade sweet and sour chicken. When you get home at 7PM and arrive at work at 8:30AM, you tend to cook lots at once, and feast throughout the week
So instead, I left before Michi and went back to my apartment and put the food in the fridge. We met back at Yokohama station and headed to Enoshima, which you can read about here or here.

If you go there, you will see lots of dragons everywhere, because of a legend that after an especially powerful earthquake, a 5-headed dragon popped out of the island (which itself had suddenly appeared) and started to lay waste to the surrounding villages and villagers. One day, the dragon encountered a beautiful goddess, and fell in love with her. The goddess, however, refused give her love to the dragon unless he changed his ways. From then on, he became a helpful dragon and stopped terrorizing and devouring the villagers.

One of the pillars on the bridge leading to Enoshima.

Mt. Fuji just barely visible in the distance.

One of the caves and the candle/torch the give you to light your way.

Turtle Rock

One of the cooler dragon shrines on the island.

There are tons of these eagles? around. They look like Golden eagles, but I'm not sure.

Two pieces of fried whale meat, which I bought at a street vender and yes, I ate. Pretty good, but not sure if it justifies killing them.

In other news, I'm still in the process of renewing my visa. I sent them the papers they asked for, and they responded by saying that the type of visa I have is not the correct kind for the kind of workplace I'm currently at, so I need to change it. And, hooray, in order to change it there is even more paperwork that both my company and I need to gather, fill out, and mail in. I sometimes wonder if it might not be better for all involved if the Japanese just went back to beheading foreigners who crossed into Japanese territory.

Cheers,