Monday, May 23, 2011

RPG

hey all,

This weekend went pretty well, but was even more uneventful than I thought. I picked up a copy of Dragon Age 2 for the PS3, and also re-installed The Witcher on my laptop. Dragon Age 2 is pretty fun so far, as most of the changes seem to be for the better. I find it a little more difficult to get involved in the story compared to the previous game for some reason. And The Witcher is just The Witcher. I've been trying to register it, but it seems like the Polish company that made it's servers are down, so I can't even install any updates or patches for the thing.

Aside from that, you get some really crazy choices: like, who should you side with, the persecuted witch who takes care of small children but who also uses a voodoo doll to torment villagers she doesn't like and gives poison to some people instead of medicine, OR the small-minded religion-crazy villagers who are greedy, and sometimes murderers themselves, but most of the time just trying to get by with their lot in life? That's just the first few hours of 40 to 60, by the by.

The Witcher 2 just came out, and if I thought my system would run it, I'd buy it for the PC, but supposedly it is coming out for XBox360 and PS3 eventually, so I'll wait. There are a ton of RPGs coming out this year, from Elder Scrolls 5, Dark Souls, to Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning. Not sure if I'll be able to play all of these, but I'd like to try.

Today and tomorrow are pretty light, schedule-wise at work, so I'm going to try to plan out the curriculum as far as I can, and also to see if I can develop one of the systems I've been working on. I really need to get it to the point of minimizing the amount of record keeping and paperwork that I personally or the other teachers will need to do, because there are days when even just filling out the time sheet seems like the straw that broke the camel's back.

I've still been watching Game of Thrones (yes, not quite legally) online. Episode 6 of 10 was just released. They are cutting so much out, but I still really like the show. I can't wait to see how people react to some of the events in season 1. If they keep going for a third, fourth, etc (remember, they've already decided to produce a second season), I wonder what people will think of the crazy stuff that happens in the books those seasons will be based on. One of the main character's pets is killed just a couple episodes into season 1, and GRRM was saying that some people were shocked about that. I wonder what they'll think when the main characters themselves start dropping like flies...

Anyway, I didn't end up visiting with any friends, because they were either out of touch or sick, and I basically spent Saturday and Sunday playing games. I didn't go to Kofu like I'd panned, because in looking up what else I'd like to see there, I couldn't find anything else besides the "castle," and it would cost me either $80 roundtrip for 2 hours, or $40 roundtrip for 6 hours, and the pictures I'd found of the castle just weren't that intriguing. I did research some extra things to do in Matsumoto when we go to see the castle there, and found some pretty interesting ones, but we're still trying to find a mountain that we can hike for the second day.

Lastly, a British guy just moved into my guesthouse and it seems like he's into rock climbing, too. We might end up going rock climbing indoors somewhere, but that's if I can spare the time.

Cheers,