Friday, August 19, 2011

August 7th

hey all,




It is the evening of my second day of "living alone." I exaggerate, of course, but that is how it feels. Michi ended up working all day, fixing one of the mistakes of a new employee who has earned the dubious honor of being called "the stupid girl."



For myself, I didn't sleep to well last night. I was worrying about Michi and her brain attack, and then it was the first time I'd slept in this new apartment, so there was that as well. Lastly, the air conditioner turns itself off after getting to a certain temperature, and then loudly turns itself back on when it senses the temperature start to rise again. Maybe I'll be used to it this night and it won't dispurb me as much, but it seemed like I was waking up every ten or twenty minutes.



Today was spent cleaning the old room in Yokohama. I got on a train that somehow took about 1 hour to get to Yokohama station. By normal trains, from Shinagawa to Yokohama takes about 20 minutes. Anyway, I cleaned the old room, swept up all the dust and hair and places where something had spilled and I hadn't noticed.



On my way back, I bought a vacuum cleaner. It wasn't the cheapest model, but it wasn't one of those Dyson contraptions that cost as much as how cool they look, either. I also picked up a foam pillow from Muji, and I wanted to buy a chair as well, but I couldn't find one that suited me at Muji. I also wanted to speak to the apartment complex manager, but the little office on the first floor was empty all day, or at least every time I went by to check it.



After getting back to the new apartment, I started arranging my things for the second and definitely not the final time. The arrangement I've got now is a little better use of space than before, but the "final solution" will have to wait till Michi gets her stuff in. I've got all of my books and DVDs (here in Japan) on my particle board book shelf that I bought from Muji when I moved into the guesthouse in Tokyo last year. The thing is, I usually don't need that quick of access to most of my books. And I could really use one of the shelves to store my electronics, which I do need more frequent access to. And then I need to wait to buy a computer table until Michi and I can confirm that it won't take up too much space, etc.



I also got my tupperware, the pots from Michi, and my spices all arranged in the kitchen and picked up a sponge and some dish soap. For when the refrigerator finally arrives, I cut out some cardboard mats to put underneath it.



I've downloaded a train schedule app onto my smartphone, and looked up the train schedule for tomorrow. Tomorrow will be the first day of the semester at school, so I want to make sure that I get there on time and that everything goes well.



Cheers,