Friday, August 19, 2011

August 6th

hey all,




So I've just moved in to the new place. The water and electricity are on, but I don't know how to get the gas going and we need to make arrangements for internet.



Most of my stuff has been put away, but I'm exhausted. It was a mad dash to get everything ready this morning, and I didn't have time to clean my room. I think I will head back tomorrow to clean it.



I'm typing this up in OpenOffice Writer right now, but I really hope we can get the internet going.



Let me go back a bit. I picked up the key for the apartment yesterday night. Yesterday, I also visited the city office and got my foreign registration taken care of, my health insurance taken care off, and updated my address at my bank and for my phone service company. Plus, I did a little more packing, but clearly not enough.



This morning, there were still lots of things to pack, but nothing major. I think I might have torn something in my ring and pinky fingers trying to roll one of the boxes over to put some reinforcing tape on it. I've got my fingers taped up, but from my Training for Climbing it seems like it could take 2 to 10 weeks for the pain to go away. And after the pain goes away, you're supposed to stay off the finger for another 2 weeks.



In any case, I got all the items together just in time for the moving guy to show up, and it only took about 20 minutes to get everything loaded, including my bike. It took much longer to drive up to Shinagawa, but the mover/driver was a very friendly guy. We chatted most of the way up about my job and his job, and the earthquake and different foreigners' reactions to it.



We finally arrived, and we got everything into the room, and I proceeded to unpack everything. Right now, I've got my dress clothes and climbing gear more or less situated. When Michi arrived after her yoga lesson, she was horrified to see the mess I'd made. I had random pieces of paper strewn everywhere, the kitchen/living room was a mess, the bedroom was a mess. My climbing gear and most of my clothes were set up, but I've got so many mementos and souvenirs that every time I move it is getting harder to keep track of them and keep them organized.



We got the rooms better organized, and she called the gas guy to get that set up. Michi's mom bought me a futon and even sheets to go with it, which was really nice. Michi has some errands to do on Sunday, so she went back to her apartment. On the way back, she had a seizure. I had walked her to the station, and she made it home OK, but this is only the second one I've seen. She's been really busy and not getting enough sleep, which always seems to bring one on.
Tomorrow, I need to see if I can get a hold of the manager to get the world turned on (ahem, I mean the internet). For now, I'm by myself in my new apartment and I'm lonely and worried about Michi. Also tomorrow, I need to pick up a pillow, a chair, and go back to Yokohama to clean the place up.



Cheers,