Monday, April 06, 2009

Synchronization

hey all,


I guess if you're not into anime or manga this post won't make too much sense. I've noticed that a ton of Japanese shows feature some kind of synchronization as part of the powers of their heroes.

So in Naruto, when you team up with another ninja to perform a magic spell, you have to synchronize your soul with their soul. In Bleach, the characters each have a weapon that has a soul, so in order to use more of the weapons' power and special abilities, the characters must commune with the soul of their weapon. This is not featured very heavily in the series, but for several episodes, it forms a main plot point. The characters in D. Grey-Man have to do basically the same thing, except it is much more central to the main plot line. Same thing for the characters in Soul Eater: except that the weapons are actual people who can transform into weapons, so the importance of understanding and accepting another person's soul/personality is even greater.

So what is this obsession with merging, synchronizing, or resonating with another soul?

I honestly don't get it. Anyway, I picked up my gaijin card today. Nice to have that kinda done, but I'll still need to change it once I get my Visa status updated. Masa and I are cooking Pad Thai tonight, so that is pretty exciting.