Sunday, April 26, 2009

Weekend

hey all,

Pretty relaxing couple of days. Friday night I went out with some local ALTs, but we came back early. Yesterday the weather was terrible: quite cold and rainy, but Masa and I ended up walking around Omiya a little bit. Found a good candy/snack shop and an international market that had some good chocolate and even had stroopwaffels from Holland (probably one of the few things that I miss from there). Today I didn't do too much: picked up some groceries, figured out how to work the rice cooker here in the guesthouse, and watched some anime and a show called Deadliest Warrior.

Tomorrow, I have work, but there's also a meeting (maybe with the board of education) some time in the afternoon (I've been given conflicting times, so I'm just going to leave in time to make the earlier one). I have Wednesday off, so I'm sure there'll be some celebrating Tuesday night.

Golden Week is also coming up, which is a series of 5 holidays in a row, but I haven't really made any plans for that. I still want to travel to Kumagaya, but that is only a day trip, or maybe two days at most. (I've also found a route that only costs about 1130 円, which saves me about $10 round-trip.) I might look into traveling to Kyoto, since some of the ALTs have said that going there in August would be hellish due to the extremely hot and humid weather. However, the shinkansen is very expensive, so it would definitely be better to wait until I get my pay check.

Of course, climbing Mt. Fuji is also on my to-do list, but the climbing season for that doesn't begin until the end of June, if I remember right.

Of my bills, the only outstanding bill I have left is my phone one.

Cheers