Thursday, April 16, 2009

This Week

hey all,

I've actually accomplished several things this week. For instance, I got a cell phone, but that was really not my doing. I ran into an ALT who'd been here for 3 years and has amazing Japanese, and he basically talked the sales clerics through it.

I've received my first health insurance bill, which can apparently be paid at a convenience store or post office. I've been meaning to pay that, but I'll be trying to do that tomorrow, I think. Today, I rushed from Ageo to Omiya so I could get to the bank before it closed and open an account. I actually succeeded in that, and my bank card is "Grasshopper" green. I couldn't resist!

I've been teaching a few classes here and there, and have a strong preference for the younger students. The older ones are "too cool for school" and won't speak up, answer questions, or really do anything except act rude and disinterested. The third year English teacher seems like one of these older, going-through-the-motions type of teachers, and doesn't do anything about it, so I can't really take charge and yell at them. The second year English teacher, in contrast, won't even tolerate students having a single button undone on their uniforms.

Not too much else going on.

Cheers