Monday, July 06, 2009

Reading Ability

hey all,

So I've mentioned studying Japanese quite a bit, and I discovered today that my Japanese writing ability is now between a 1st and 2nd grader's. My vocabulary is easily above 444 words (words that I can write, say, hear, and read), but I only know about 150 kanji or so. 1st graders in Japan learn 80 kanji, and 2nd graders learn around 200: I know around 150, so I'm not quite at the 2nd grade level yet.

This means that I should be able to pass the beginer level of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test. I've gotten to that level after less than 4 months of not too enthusiastic study. It is too late to register for the soonest JLPT, which is this month, but I think I should be able to pass the basic level for the next test in December. (This is somewhat confusing: beginer is the lowest level, then basic, intermediate, and lastly advanced.)

Cheers,