Friday, July 10, 2009

Some Linux Complaints

hey all,

So in the past, I've been highly critical of both Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X. I've been using various flavors Linux since 2007, mostly Fedora. I'm currently running Fedora 11, codenamed Leonidas. It seems like ever since Fedora Core 7, my experience with Linux has been more or less down hill. Fedora 8 was nice, but I could never get wireless to work. With Fedora 9, wireless finally started working, but I lost the ability hear sound in my internet browser, and KDE 4 (a disaster and a hazard compared to KDE 3.59) was manditorily included in the distribution. Fedora 10 and 11 continued this pattern.

In my current installation, which I updated just the other day, sound still doesn't work for the internet, and now I can't have my headphones and my headset plugged in at the same time, plus the sound feels a little choppy. I've also lost the ability to scroll and select items by tapping on the touchpad.

Why can't these people deliver on a simple promise to provide a useable alternative to Micro-tosh? Almost from the beginning, I've had Blackbox lean running as my desktop environment for Windows Vista, and I've had a really good experience with that. My webcam and headset are easy to use, I can watch videos on the internet with sound, and I don't suddenly lose my ability to scroll or select items by tapping on the touchpad.

Cheers,