Thursday, April 12, 2012

400 Posts, and 3 Years

hey all,

I've been in Japan for over 3 years now. That seems so strange to type. Three years ago I was 27 years old. At times I wish I had a more visual or concrete profession. I mean, I can't really go around pulling a great student out of my pocket and showing them to people. Architects can point to their buildings, musicians have people listen to their music, painters can show their paintings, game developers can have people play their games, and movie professionals can show their films. The results of my efforts reside in the neurons of the brains of my students, who are off wandering around the earth. Not exactly the most accessible place to reach. And nobody appreciates all the blood, bone, broken hack saw blades, and screams that it takes to show them off.

Three years is around 1000 days. I have to say that three years doesn't feel like a long time. Of course, there are times when I have to plan a lesson that 50 minutes seems like a long time to fill, but the last three years of my life have gone by pretty quickly. I feel pretty ambivalent about that, actually. I guess time does seem to move quickly when you are enjoying yourself, but sometimes I wonder about the hustle and bustle of daily life and where mine is going.

My new AM and PM classes are...going, as well. They really deserve more comment, but for now that will have to do.

Cheers,