Saturday, April 28, 2012

Stupid and Stupider

hey all,

I've been trying to get a decent semantic desktop going, but have been unable to do it so far.

We all know by now the wonderful things that Gmail's labels let you do with emails. Of course it is impossible to surf the internet without encountering lables or tags everywhere. I was using Tagged Frog to do this on my computer, except that it is retarded. Now I am trying out Nemo Docs, but it too is retarded.

Say you have a bunch of pics in a folder named Japan. But inside that folder, you have lots of other folders (Yokohama, Hakone_Random_Date, etc). Tagged Frog supposedly allows you to create a rule that says: give all the files in folder X the tag X. You can set this to be recursive, so that Japan pics all get the tag Japan, Hakone pics all get the tag Hakone, etc. But these tags only show up in your tag manager if you run a manual scan and tag. That is, the automatic tagging is useless.

Nemo Docs has similar problems, but more extreme. If I do a search for files that have SEMANTICS in the file name, it only returns a certain number of those files. Plus you can't set up any autotagging rules, so you might as well go through each and every file and tag it one at a time. In my Linguistics folder, I have 1,700+ files, and well more than 6,000 photos in my Pictures folder, and another 1,700+ music files. It would be more cost effective to hire some poor 3rd world tech savvy drone to do it for me.

Tag2find doesn't seem to work on this computer, and neither does TaggTool. iTag looked nice, but it has a limit of 3 tags per file for the free version and is designed primarily for photos.

Yes, Picasa will also put tags on your photos, and also let you manage the people, locations, etc associated with them, but what about the .doc, .docx, .ods, PDFs, and other files? Sure, Windows Media Player and others will help you manage the tags on your OGGs, MP3, and WAV files, but what about your AVIs, MPEGs, MP4s, and WMVs?

My point is that I want a program that will let me tag or label any file, and that will store and make searchable all that metadata in the same place. I don't want to have to use Picasa to find that one particular picture just because the tags on it are unavailable to Explorer, etc. This shouldn't be a difficult proposition, and yet I have yet to see it implemented on Windows effectively. After all, I can easily add a label to this blog post.

Cheers,