Thursday, April 26, 2012

Classes and Computer Again

hey all,

It seems that plan C is also a bust. I tried reformatting the HDD from the new computer, but the results are the same. It could be that the CPU or the graphics card have finally bit the dust, but I kinda doubt that, since I was able to see the Fedora and Kubuntu loading screens come up and get to work...But after a minute, I'd get a screen that was half white and half black. In any case, I might take the HDD and give myself another storage possibility and try to sell the rest of the components in Akihabara this weekend. Whatever is wrong with it, it doesn't seem worth the effort of getting it working again.

Classes are moving along. My AM class is more or less stable. I'm still experimenting with different techniques, but Positive Framing, No Opt Out, Do It Again, and Strong Voice are becoming my combo of choice. These amount to setting a positive tone through focusing on the students who are doing what they should and "narrating a success story" ("I've got two students writing, now I've got 4 students writing, and now I've got everyone writing...Good focus everyone"), not allowing a student to not answer, practicing something again if it is not done correctly the first time, and maintaining a formal, controlled register and bearing at all times.

PM classes are becoming more stable, but I'm still trying to figure out how to cope with teaching a different level basically every day, and I'm still adjusting to the level difference between my current classes and my previous class. One technique I'm going to try out for the PM class is teacher generated summaries for reading comprehension. These amount to restating and shortening the original passages, but with key words left blank, so the students have to do some work to fill them in. I'm thinking a word box and the occasional MC question would also be good additions.

There is a three day holiday, then two days of work, then a four day holiday, so there'll be lots of homework to do.

Cheers,