Sunday, March 29, 2009

Food and Money

hey all,

So I was bored today and started going through my food receipts, and realized that I've spent about 5,000 yen on food since moving into the guesthouse. That's in the neighbourhood of $50 over 7 days. To give you an idea of what I've been living on here is a list as best I can remember.

  1. udon noodle soup
  2. tofu
  3. arare (rice crackers)
  4. Kagome fruit juice
  5. carrots
  6. peanuts
  7. chocolate
  8. beef jerky
I really don't think it should be possible to spend that much on such meager meals: I'm not eating steak every day, and usually don't even get meat every day. I've only eaten out once (twice if you count picking up 2 donuts as eating out), and that cost about 420 yen total.

5,000/week gives a monthly total of 20,000 yen for food each month, if I keep eating the same way. Food and rent is 70,000/month. Out of around 230,000 in pay, that leaves 160,000. Taking out loan payments leaves about 115,000/month.

Cheers