Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The Job

The company itself shall remain nameless here. Once I arrive at Narita airport, I am supposed to claim that I'm a tourist since the Ministry of Immigration has not yet completed some of my paperwork. If I get through customs and immigration, I travel by bus several hours to the North East to the city of Mito, in Ibaraki prefecture. Supremely jet-lagged, the very next day all the new ALT's are supposed to undergo two days of training.
After that, I believe a promotional period begins. Basically, the company goes around to various public schools needing an ALT and says "Hey, we happen to have an ALT." Then I get to do more interviews with school principals, until I get accepted somewhere. Once that happens, the company helps me find a place to live near there, and I both a) move into and setup the apartment where I'll be living for a year, and b) start my job of teaching 7-15 year old Japanese kids to speak English.
From what they've explained, for Junior high schools, I will be assisting a Japanese teacher in these lessons. But for elementary schools, I come in 1 or 2 days a week, and do some random (chosen by moi) activities (songs & games) that happen to involve English words and grammar.
Along with all of that, within a certain number of days I need to:
  1. change my status from tourist to foreign worker
  2. register for the local health plan
  3. get a hanko made (a rubber stamp used in place of signature, you need this to get a bank account, and other useful things)
  4. open bank account
  5. get registered at local city hall (residence permit)
  6. possibly lease a car
  7. get internet
That's it for now.