Sunday, March 22, 2009

Wandering

hey all,

So today I wandered around some more, but mostly with a purpose. Yesterday I found a store called Better Home, and today I bought a pyrex bowl from them. The room came with a fork, knife, and spoon (no hashi, or chopsticks), and several small-ish bowls and plates. It is impossible to eat ramen, udon, or soba (different types of of noodle soup, basically), out of these bowls. So I picked up the larger pyrex one.

I also spent a few hours at Hikawa Shrine. This is a major Shinto shrine that is supposedly older than Christmas (2400 years old). So far, it is probably one of the most beautiful things I've seen here. There is also a park that I had planned on seeing, but it is currently raining a little, and it is a little more than a mile over to the park.

Those familar with my study of the obession that certain European countries have with spikes (e.g., Holland), might be interested to know that so far I don't see that in Japan. It seems like a fence or even implied boundary is often enough to deter people from crossing over. Also, I've seen some very interesting water spouts. Yes, water spouts: it is the small things that are really intrigueing.

Cheers,