Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Updates

hey all,

It's been a while since I posted anything here. This is somewhat because I've been trying to figure out what to do with my computer. I'm really dissatisfied with my Linux partition, but until now I've been using it as my main repository for movies, music, pictures, and even all my school work going back to high school. Uploading pictures to this site usually means that I have to log on to Linux, which I have come to avoid the way I used to avoid logging on to Windows. For now, there will be no new pictures until I can figure out how to get my Linux files accessible to Windows. Why not just start storing everything on Windows? Space. I have two external hard drives, one formatted in Ext2 and one in Ext3, on which I store almost everything. Most of the space on my Windows partition is taken up by games and by the operating system itself. Once I can get my external HDDs accessible by Windows, then I'll be in the clear.

A possible silver lining to this cloud has appeared in the form of Google OS, which will be released later this year. This will be based on the Linux kernel, like Linux and Apple's OS X, but designed for people who spend a lot of time on the Internet, such as myself. Avid readers will recall that part of my growing dissatisfaction with Linux lately has been my inability to get sound from streaming internet videos, but this seems to be part of a larger problem with the new sound server PulseAudio, which also screws up sound files stored locally on my internal hard drive and cannot keep up with the audio track of video files stored on my external hard drives. I know these are Linux problems because they don't happen at all in Windows.

That out of the way, not too much has been going on that is really worth writing about. I hosted a second indoor rock climbing event, which was really fun. I met a German guy who is an amazing climber and he's been teaching me some new ways to belay and also how to lead climb, which I tried once in the US, but was too freaked out by to try again.

We've had several more Earthquakes that I've felt or been woken up by, but still nothing major.

I started playing my first MMORPG, Age of Conan, which is lots of fun.

I have one week left in my vacation, but I think I might only take one trip into Tokyo to see some more sights related to the 47 ronin.

Cheers,