Saturday, August 01, 2009

Weekend So Far

hey all,

It has been a busy weekend so far, and it's only half done. Last night, one of the outdoor club members organized a movie trip, as she somehow got like 20 free tickets. About 4 of us wanted to see the new Transformers movie, and I was part of that group. First, we all headed over to an Irish pub to get dinner and drink, then went to the theater.

The movie was pretty decent, continuing the pattern established by the first movie of lots of comic relief provided by the parents and Autobots, and lots of humorous sexual innuendo.

After that, I headed back to Omiya, but I had already decided that I'd go out. I picked up some food, since I hadn't eaten at the bar (too expensive). First I stopped by the Hub, but it was thinning out as it was around 1AM. So, I ended up hanging out with Masa and a bunch of people from his building at a karaoke bar. If you've seen Lost in Translation, this is another one of those things that I didn't really believe while I watched it. So this deserves some explanation.

When I think of karaoke bars, I think of a building that looks like a bar, and happens to have a karaoke machine. This type of structure would not work in Japan, because karaoke is too popular. (I also suspect that having a multifunctional space is somehow abhorant.) Instead, there is a warren of small sound proofed rooms, all with karaoke machines. It is all you can eat/drink from 11PM-5AM, for around $25/person.

So you drink, eat, and yes, sing very badly for 5 hours. It was pretty fun.

Cheers,