Monday, December 21, 2009

9 Months

hey all,

I just realized that I've been here for 9 months. This is actually the longest continuous time I've spent in a foreign country. I was in Amsterdam for about 10 months altogether, but that was 5 months in Amsterdam, 1 month back home, then another 5 months in Amsterdam.

It is a strange feeling. It seems like I've been doing this forever. I mean, I was in the US for about 8 or 9 months, I think, before jetting out of the country again, like some kind of comet with an irregular orbit. Even when I lived in the US, I skyped with some of my family members that were far away, skyped with my friend Mark, and kept in touch with Bri through online PS3 video games. Not so much has really changed, but at the same time, a lot of other things are totally different.

I have to say I'm still enjoying my life here. My job forms a large part of that, and I think it shows in my posts when it isn't going well. Recently, my job has been pretty fun. Despite some recent rocky spots (no pun intended) with Michi, that part of my life continues to be a source of good times and hope for many more to come. I also have something of a local network of people I can talk to here, which I never had in Amsterdam.

As I complained in the previous post, it is easy to start complaining about all the negative things, but it takes some thought and effort to focus on the positive things.

Cheers,