Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas in Japan

hey all,

Somehow my day off became busy. I spent the morning sorting through souvenirs and presents, making sure everything I wanted to send back was accounted for, and then went over to the post office and shipped it to the US.

As luck would have it, while I was doing that, my long awaited package from the US came, but since I was out I won't get it until Monday next week.

On top of that, I've just spent the last few hours going over hotel and ryokan information for our (Michi and me) trip to Kyoto. It looks like that is finally settled.

Lastly, I have packing to do for the trip to Nikko tomorrow. My camera is charged, my presents to Michi wrapped as prettily as I can, so I just need to pack warm clothes, toiletries, etc. I've checked the weather for the five millionth time this week, and it seems to be holding at decent.

Some random news before I go, as I won't be back on the computer till Sunday evening. The Japanese teacher who I work with at my part-time job has been fired. He was a really nice guy, and (I think) an excellent teacher, but he had some disagreements about how classes should be taught with his boss, so they actually sacked him. It doesn't matter too much to me, since I'll be leaving the company myself in March, but he really didn't deserve that kind of treatment, and I know the students (and I) will miss his lesson style.

I don't believe I've mentioned it, but in Japan, New Year's is traditionally a family holiday. You're supposed to eat the first meal of the New Year with them, go to a temple, etc. Christmas, on the other hand, is...a couples' holiday, to put it delicately. Whatever you might expect a couple, or a lonely single to do (try to do) on New Year's in the US; that will happen on Christmas instead.

Last item. Yesterday, I had my last day of work for several weeks. It was the school closing ceremony, which seems really poorly named. There are actually teachers at the school right now, and they will be there throughout the break. As far as I know, the students will not be at school. There are no classes scheduled, but there may be club activities. I do know that each of the students were handed thick homework packets by each of their teachers to do over break. I don't think Japanese people understand the idea of "break" or "vacation," that, yes, one can actually stop working/studying for more than 2 days without dying.

Cheers,