Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Class, Or Something Like It

hey all,

Today I didn't have classes at all: I corrected some writing practice worksheets for my 3rd year students, and spent most of the rest of the time studying Japanese. For some reason, 80% or more of my 3rd year students think that "want to" + NOUN is an OK sentence pattern:

I want to cat

is a particularly popular sentence. You know what? I want to cat, too. If I had the time, I'd cat all over town. Just last night, me and your momma were catting all night long.

Anyway, they also made lots of mistakes with a/the/my, so I made a worksheet that explained when and how to use them. But "want to" + NOUN is such an idiotic mistake that I seriously can't think how to correct it, other than pointing out the obvious grammatical clues that they aren't picking up on.

We did in fact get some snow the other day, and right now it is also snowing. Most of it will probably be gone by the morning, but the local agencies don't seem to know what to do about it.

I seem to have an ear infection, so it's been a little hard to sleep and also difficult to keep focus at work.

I actually just got back from a trip to the bar with some ALTs. Really good night tonight.

Cheers,