Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Peasant Rebellion

hey all,

So me and my ALT friends are trying to start a peasant rebellion. We're all smart people, and we're tired of being used as human CD players. The idea is to get together and brainstorm ideas on what we can do in Japan outside of education, which is a joke.

One of my ALT friends described it this way: The English education situation has been screwed up so thoroughly for so long by incompetents that it will take thousands of dedicated (need I mention foreign and underpaid?) geniuses to sort it all out. No thank you.

I'm not here to save the planet. That's not in my job description. Nobody is going to congratulate me on a job well done, at least in the Japanese public education system. Both the Japanese teachers I've worked with in my part time job say thank you, and tell me I'm doing a good job. I'm not going to receive more pay, or even get hired by my junior high school directly no matter how hard I bend over for them. And I wouldn't want to get hired by this school anyway, since it is the worst in Ageo, which makes it one of the worst in Saitama prefecture.

I don't see why I should have to settle for my current station. There are 29 work days left on my current contract, and I plan on having a viable alternative to this job by the end of them, even if it only means working for a private school instead of a public one, or at least changing companies and getting better pay.

Power to the People,