Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Story of Last Friday

hey all,

I thought I'd share the story of last Friday, because I think it is a little funny.

I came home from work to find a delivery attempt notice from the Japan Post. After fumbling around with the automated voice system, I finally got them to arrange to deliver my package later that night.

That done, I started my laundry: a load of whites; mostly my work shirts and undershirts. As I was waiting for my package, I noticed the laundry machine had stopped, and was in fact giving some kind of error message. As it happened, one of my house mates was having a Japanese friend over, and he was kind enough to help out by calling the company and ask them to come and fix it that night.

I decided to make dinner and have a shower in the mean time, and while I was in the shower, of course my package arrived. Luckily, that same housemate picked it up for me. While waiting for the repair man, I looked up the details on how to transfer money from the US to Japan, and got a transfer underway. He showed up at 22:00, or 10PM, a half an hour late, and stayed until almost midnight.

While I was babysitting the repair guy, my US bank called to confirm the details of the transfer, but I was away from the phone.

But eventually, he fixed the washer, and I was able to finish my laundry. I even got my bank to call me back and was able to complete the transfer. Anyway, that was how I spent last Friday night; going from one happenstance to another.

Cheers,