Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Week

hey all,

The season finale of Game of Thrones was pretty amazing. Of course, the climax of the book is by far one of the highest points that I've encountered in literature, but with some sour chords lingering in the background and of course a feeling of "This could be going there or there, but either one would be stupendous."

Lately, I've been gorging myself on nata de coco, which is a dish from the Philippines made from fermented coconut water. It has a texture that is very unique, maybe best described as sweetened juicy wax. Although that might not sound delicious, it is. I eat about 2 cups or so at a time, which is probably overkill, but it is that scrumptious.

I think we're getting together a foursome for rock climbing on Sunday, which should be exciting.

In other news, I've finally gotten around to logging in to my student loan website and calculated that if I pay $1000 per month from July, 2011 until January, 2014 I can completely pay off my student loans. For some reason, their website doesn't seem to support you figuring this out right there, but if you have the interest rates and the principle, you can figure out the rest yourself with a spreadsheet program.

I think next week's lunch will be lamb and barley stew by Alton Brown. This week, I bought some frozen fried chicken, gyoza and shumai (both are Chinese pot stickers: basically just pork with spice with a wonton wrapper), and I've been alternating one for lunch, the other for dinner, then the third for the next day's lunch, etc. However, the temperature has been around 28C (that's about 82F for all of you in Burma, Liberia, and the US), but the humidity has been above 70%, so you always feel like you've got glue on your skin. In any case, frying every night is not really the thing you want to be doing in this kind of weather, so I'm going back to my "slave over a stove for a 1.5 hours- eat for a week" pattern.

Classes are for the most part going well. I'm working on the history book study guide a little, day by day, and it is coming along nicely.

Cheers,