Thursday, January 14, 2010

More Work

hey all,

Glad to be finishing up this week, even though it was only four days long. Today, I somehow managed to teach during all six periods at the junior high school. A few other ALTs that I've spoken with or whose blogs I've read seem to agree that four periods is close to perfect, although there seems to be some disagreement about what the perfect arrangement is. Personally, I like teaching 4 classes straight through the morning, then napping/studying/reading/making worksheets at my desk for the two periods after lunch. Usually the high sugar content of the rice just makes me too sleepy to bring any energy to class. Other ALTs prefer 1,2, 4, 6 or some other spaced out schedule, since this gives them a free hour to prepare for upcoming classes. This can be nice sometimes, but unless I'm feeling energetic in the afternoon, I'd rather lose a class in the morning if I need a period to prepare something.

Something kind of interesting is the sadism of my 3rd year English teacher. Every time there is a vacation, when we return to school I have to make a speech about what I did. And every time, I know that my students had an asinine amount of homework to do, but my English teacher really seems to rub this in: "Ah, maybe you all had to study for the ... test, but David-sensei had lots of fun. Let's hear what he did." Not only that, but I have to be careful when making my speeches, because already some students have an unhealthy interest in my private life, and if I mention going to an onsen or making a trip that could be construed as romantic with someone else (accidentally saying "we" instead of "I"), they can't concentrate on the lesson and keep pestering me for details about my girlfriend.

It is not illegal to drink alcohol on the street in Japan, so another ALT and I had a few drinks outside (yes, in the cold) yesterday. He's been here for a while, and is always offering up advice. From what he said, it seems likely that my company does not sponsor visas for part-time jobs, which is what I'd be getting if I move to Tokyo. Further, in order to self-sponsor,  I need to have contracts with no less than 3 companies and make at least 250,000 Yen per month (about $2500). This in addition to paying more money for food, clothes, and other daily necessities, the hassle of coordinating between 3 part-time jobs, paying more for commuting between the 3 jobs, and probably paying more for rent.

And until (if) Michi and I move in together, we still probably won't be seeing each other any more often than now. I still have yet to receive any info on locations, etc from the Company. Supposedly, by next month they'll be able to tell me something. To me it feels like I'm (one-sidedly) making a lot of changes for really uncertain outcomes and nebulous benefits/gains. I guess moving over to Japan in the first place was kind of in the same realm, but I couldn't really expect Japan to make itself more accessible for my benefit.

Tomorrow I teach my first lesson of the new year at my elementary school.

 This weekend I'm organizing a rock climbing event on Saturday, and will be hanging out with John and his cousin in Harajuku on Sunday. Not sure if I'll be able to see Michi or not.

Cheers,