Friday, January 22, 2010

Not Bad

hey all,

Today has been pretty fun. I taught at the elementary school, which even on bad days is still more fun than my junior high. Today was an especially good day at the elementary school: I did a lesson on weekdays and school subjects, and I even sang a weekday song! They had me eat lunch with the 2nd year students, who are barely above my knees. Cute as can be, but really annoying too. Kids that old aren't impressed by how much Japanese you speak, because they just don't have any clue what it takes. My 6th and 5th year students have to have regular English lessons, so they know. 2nd year students don't slow down or try to speak clearly for you, or use simple words (if anything, they get too excited about talking to a foreigner and talk faster); they just expect you to understand.

Tonight, I plan on meeting up with an ALT I first met on the morning train to my job. We usually just talk on the train, but we've gone out a few times as well. He's been having issues with his job, and I've been having issues with my girlfriend, so the plan is to drink, swap horror stories, sympathize, and give advice.

Cheers,