Thursday, January 07, 2010

Return to Work

hey all,

I went back to work yesterday (Wednesday), but aside from getting my daily stamp, I have yet to do anything that could be considered work. There are no classes, half the teachers are gone, and another three-eighths leave early, so I'm not the only one taking it easy. I don't really have the option of leaving early or not coming in, either. I talked to the principal on Wednesday and asked if I could go home, since I didn't really have anything to do, but he actually said I should stay.

I've spent a good part of my time at work going over bus routes, restaurant prices and locations, and researching sightseeing spots for the trip to Kyoto. I've also gotten back into studying Japanese a bit, which, aside from talking to Michi, I didn't really do over my break.

Today was interesting because after work I had my first class at the part-time job with the new teacher. I was really nervous about how class would go, because she seemed really, really odd, nervous, and overly (yet somehow under) prepared. Class actually went really smoothly, with both of us being surprised a few times at each others' good teaching ability.

Tomorrow at my main job, we still won't have any classes, but we'll be doing the school opening ceremony, which like the school closing ceremony, is a misnomer. Today and yesterday, although there were no classes, and most of the teachers were taking breaks, many students kept stopping by the class room to ask for keys to various rooms (the kendo room, the gym, etc). That's right: on their days off, some students can't think of anything better to do than come to school. If the principal hadn't told me to stay, I would have gone back to my guest house and played video games for a few hours, then maybe made some travel arrangements. Much more productive than sitting around pretending to be busy.

Cheers,