Friday, October 08, 2010

British English, Finally Over

hey all,

I've finally said good bye to all of my schools. As much as I didn't like a few of the teachers, or teaching some of the rude or loud classes, for the most part the students and teachers were really good and fun working with. So I've been feeling a bit down the last few days saying good bye to all of them.

Something that has been bugging me as an English teacher is that British people are also allowed to teach English. They often get higher pay in fact, as there are some schools which only specialize in British English. But there are a lot of things just wrong with British English. For example, the headline here. They do this with "committee" and "government," as well: treat a morphologically, semantically, and syntactically singular noun as a plural, which changes the conjugation on the verb.

And of course, they say things like "I'm going to go to hospital." I try to look at this as an extension of "go to work" and "go to school" and even stranger "go home" (No preposition and no determiner!!?!). But still, it seems oddball.

No rest for the weary.

Cheers,