Sunday, October 03, 2010

More Ughishness

hey all,

I got back a while ago from checking out the guesthouse in Shinkawasaki, and it seemed really nice. The area seemed OK, but there weren't really any stores or anything: no big shopping complexes by the station like I've come to expect in most Japanese cities. The building itself was pretty good: clean, well-maintained, new, and the people seemed pretty friendly.

I decided I'd sign an application for them, but they called later today saying that I hadn't passed their application process, but they'd still like to give me the room, as long as I'd pay double the deposit. Well, the building is nice, but it isn't that nice, and especially given that there were no stores around, it doesn't seem like it is worth it. Even with their promises the I'll get the money back when I move out. I don't really care. I'm not handing over that much money to even a reputable company like that housing firm.

So, I started up the process of looking again, and I've come up with at least one place that is closer to my job, and might offer more in the way of stores, etc. The rent is also cheaper, but we'll see how things go.

More actual good news is that my arm is almost back to normal. I'm still getting some twinges of pain every now and then, but the pain and the grinding have greatly lessened. I decided I'd see what my rock climbing training book had to say about shoulder injuries, and I've been doing several reps of two simple exercises everyday. Combined with the shot I received, it seems like I should be back to rock climbing soon. The ugh part here is that the exercises look unfortunately like you're practicing for seppuku. Yes, the ritual slitting open of one's belly following a disgrace.

Cheers,